Wittgensteinians
Life in the Post-Analytic World, Given by the Man Who Ended Philosophy As History Knew It

Home » Concerning Wittgenstein's Ideas » Wittgenstein and Religion » [Wittrs] Something About Religion
[Wittrs] Something About Religion [message #4933] Mon, 24 May 2010 16:40 Go to next message
RetroDeathRow is currently offline  RetroDeathRow
"To imagine a language is to imagine a form of life"
-LW

Is this the point of the PI and other places in which he brings up 'language games'?

There was a T-shirt that I am having difficulty finding now, but it had a bunch of guys building stuff (i think it was set in Greece, iirc), and one is yelling "Slab!" and whatnot. I don't think it was far off.

A proposition must communicate a new sense with old words. The proposition communicates to us a state of affairs, therefore it must be essentially connected with the state of affairs.
And the connexion is, in fact, that it is its logical picture.

In what sense is Wittgenstein numerating a series (in the PI, Brown Book) and hoping we might continue it?

In what sense are his last words (Tell them I had a wonderful life) related to this series, if at all?

Can these questions even be answered, or only shown?

Do he leave us a new form of life?

He had a wonderful life.
[Wittrs] Re: To imagine a language [message #4935 is a reply to message #4933] Mon, 24 May 2010 21:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rajasekhar is currently offline  Rajasekhar

sekhar

--- On Tue, 25/5/10, College Dropout John O'Connor <sixminuteabs@gmail.com> wrote:

From: College Dropout John O'Connor <sixminuteabs@gmail.com>
Subject: [Wittrs] To imagine a language
To: wittrsamr@freelists.org
Date: Tuesday, 25 May, 2010, 2:10 AM

"To imagine a language is to imagine a form of life"
-LW

Since eons language considered as an organism different from real organism.These two run in parallel to each other.That is how language  cognizant of sense data of the body.Language lives and dies with the body.
thank yousekhar 

Need Something? Check here: http://ludwig.squarespace.com/wittrslinks/

Re: To imagine a language [message #5025 is a reply to message #4933] Fri, 25 June 2010 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RetroDeathRow is currently offline  RetroDeathRow
"I think one of the things you and I have to learn is that we have to live without the consolation of belonging to a Church....
Of one thing I am certain. The religion of the future will have to be extremely ascetic, and by that I don't mean just going without food and drink. (Recollections p. 114, in 1930s)"

"Any man who is half-way decent will think himself extremely imperfect, but a religious man thinks himself wretched." (CV p. 45, ca. 1944)

"If you and I are to live religious lives, it mustn't be that we talk a lot about religion, but that our manner of life is different. It is my belief that only if you try to be helpful to other people will you in the end find your way to God." (ibid. p. 114)

"It is true that we can compare a picture that is firmly rooted in us to a superstition, but it is equally true that we always eventually have to reach some firm ground, either a picture or something else; so that a picture which is at the root of all our thinking is to be respected and not treated as a superstition." (CV p. 83)

"I wouldn't call them unreasonable. I would say, they are certainly not reasonable, that's obvious. 'Unreasonable' implies, with everyone, rebuke." (LC p. 58)

"Justification ... comes to an end. If it did not it would not be justification.... my reasons will soon give out. And then I shall act, without reasons." (PI cf. § 485 [cf. OC § 563d], § 211)

"What must the man be called, who cannot understand the concept 'God', cannot see how a reasonable man may use this word seriously? Are we to say he suffers from some blindness?" (RP i § 213 [circa 1946-1947])

"Make sure that your religion is a matter between you and God only."

"I don't know why we are here, but I'm pretty sure that it is not in order to enjoy ourselves."

"A confession has to be part of your new life."

"Aim at being loved without being admired."

""Fare well!"
" A whole world of pain is contained in these words." How can it be contained in them? -- It is bound up in them. The words are like an acorn from which an oak tree can grow."

And, of course, the one in my signature does well after this last one. I think I will cease for the time being.

He had a wonderful life.
[Wittrs] Re: [C] Re: To imagine a language [message #5030 is a reply to message #4933] Sat, 26 June 2010 11:39 Go to previous message
cyn Adams is currently offline  cyn Adams

Consolation is a word I associate with _Consolation of Philosophy_ by Boethius. We all understand the reason people find attending church a socially responsible thing to do. You know, it makes one appear NOT to be openly sinful, for nice weddings and solemn funerals. But the meaning of life can not be found in narrow writings. On the other hand, when one reads Boethius, and other classics, philosophy becomes the means toward an answer.

Mark

> Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 14:26:38 -0400
> To: wittrsamr@freelists.org
> Subject: [C] [Wittrs] Re: To imagine a language
> From: sixminuteabs@gmail.com
>
>
>
> "I think one of the things you and I have to learn is that we have to live without the consolation of belonging to a Church....
> Of one thing I am certain. The religion of the future will have to be extremely ascetic, and by that I don't mean just going without food and drink. (Recollections p. 114, in 1930s)"
>
> "Any man who is half-way decent will think himself extremely imperfect, but a religious man thinks himself wretched." (CV p. 45, ca. 1944)
>
> "If you and I are to live religious lives, it mustn't be that we talk a lot about religion, but that our manner of life is different. It is my belief that only if you try to be helpful to other people will you in the end find your way to God." (ibid. p. 114)
>
> "It is true that we can compare a picture that is firmly rooted in us to a superstition, but it is equally true that we always eventually have to reach some firm ground, either a picture or something else; so that a picture which is at the root of all our thinking is to be respected and not treated as a superstition." (CV p. 83)
>
> "I wouldn't call them unreasonable. I would say, they are certainly not reasonable, that's obvious. 'Unreasonable' implies, with everyone, rebuke." (LC p. 58)
>
> "Justification ... comes to an end. If it did not it would not be justification.... my reasons will soon give out. And then I shall act, without reasons." (PI cf. § 485 [cf. OC § 563d], § 211)
>
> "What must the man be called, who cannot understand the concept 'God', cannot see how a reasonable man may use this word seriously? Are we to say he suffers from some blindness?" (RP i § 213 [circa 1946-1947])
>
> "Make sure that your religion is a matter between you and God only."
>
> "I don't know why we are here, but I'm pretty sure that it is not in order to enjoy ourselves."
>
> "A confession has to be part of your new life."
>
> "Aim at being loved without being admired."
>
> ""Fare well!"
> " A whole world of pain is contained in these words." How can it be contained in them? -- It is bound up in them. The words are like an acorn from which an oak tree can grow."
>
> And, of course, the one in my signature does well after this last one. I think I will cease for the time being.
>
>
> --
> He lived a wonderful life.
> ==========================================
>
> Need Something? Check here: http://ludwig.squarespace.com/wittrslinks/
>
>

Previous Topic: [Wittrs] Re: Wittgenstein on Religious Belief
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 25 01:14:01 EDT 2018